If you’re noticing that your carpets are starting to appear a bit bumpy, wrinkled, or loose, it’s probably time to find a carpet stretching service. This is an important step in ensuring the look and longevity of your carpets as it helps restore their original tension, giving them evenly spread stress points and allowing them to lay flat across the floor once again. While not all cases necessitate professional help (sometimes carpets can be stretched with DIY methods), sometimes getting repair work done by experienced technicians is just what you need. To make sure this is indeed the case for you, we’ve outlined some key signs that indicate you need carpet stretching services – take a look at them below!
What Is Carpet Stretching?
Carpet stretching is a professional carpet repair technique used to secure and flatten a carpet that has become wrinkled or bunched due to age, wear, or improper installation. During the repair process, a power stretcher is used to pull up the carpet and stretch it over tacks around the entire perimeter of a room. This process can add years of life to existing carpets by removing wrinkles, lumps, and ridges.
Signs Your Carpets Need to Be Stretched
There are a few telltale signs that you need carpet stretching. If you notice any of the following, it’s time to call in a professional:
#1. Your Carpet Has Wrinkles or Ripples
A common sign that your carpets need to be restretched is if there are noticeable wrinkles and ripples in the material. Oftentimes, these wrinkles occur after the carpet has been installed for some time. Wrinkles can be caused by items being dragged across the carpet, like furniture, or even excessive foot traffic. Restretching a carpet will get rid of these ripples and make the surface look smooth and level once again. If you believe this is something that needs to be addressed with your carpets, contact a professional to come out and do the restretching for you.
#2. Carpet Edges Are Loosening/Lifting
Loose carpet edges can be a tell-tale sign that your carpets need to be stretched. Loose carpets can cause tripping hazards and are more prone to damage if not addressed in a timely manner. Over time, the backing of your carpet can start to break down due to frequent movement, causing your carpets to become looser or begin lifting from the edges. Carpet stretching is done by applying pressure along the length of the affected area, which further tightens the carpet against its backing. This service ensures your carpets stay firmly in place and improves the overall look of any room. If you notice any loosening or lifting in your carpets, reach out for professional help today!
#3. Your Carpet Is Lumpy & Uneven
If your carpet has started to form lumps or bumps, it’s a sign that you need your carpet stretched. These bumps are usually caused by furniture legs or heavy appliances. Over time, they can cause the carpet to become misshapen and uncomfortable. Once again, this is a job for a professional carpet stretcher.
What Are the Benefits of Stretching My Carpet?
There are several benefits to contracting a carpet stretching professional, including:
#1. Improved Appearance
Stretching your loose carpet can help restore its original shape and make it look new again. The wrinkles and bumps will be smoothed out, and the carpet will lay flat once again. This can make a huge difference in the overall appearance of your home.
#2. Extended Lifespan
By stretching your carpet, you can help it last longer. This is because the carpet will be less likely to fray or come loose at the edges. Not to mention, it will be less likely to develop wrinkles and ripples over time that can cause tearing.
#3. Improved Comfort
Having your carpets stretched can add to the level of comfort in your home. Not only does it improve the look of the carpet, but stretching helps it fit better into your space. By taking out wrinkles and waves, the surface is even, meaning there are no pesky lumps or bumps that could cause discomfort.
#4. Prevention of Further Damage
If you don’t stretch your carpet, the wrinkles and bumps will only get worse over time. This can cause the bunched-up carpet to suffer even more damage, which will shorten its lifespan. By stretching the surrounding carpet now, you can prevent further damage from occurring.
#5. Reduces Risks of Tripping
One of the most important benefits of stretching your carpet is that it reduces the risk of tripping. This is especially important if you have young children or elderly family members living in your home.
What Causes Carpets to Wrinkle?
There are several factors that can cause your carpet to wrinkle, including:
- Poor Installation or Measurement: One of the most common reasons for carpet wrinkles is related to installation or measurement errors. When a professional installer measures for new carpets, he should leave at least 1/2 inch of extra material on each side to accommodate any shrinkage that could occur after installation. If an installer does not leave enough extra material, it will not allow for any shrinkage due to humidity and temperature changes—which can lead to wrinkles in the carpet.
- Improper Padding: Another reason why carpets wrinkle is due to improper padding. The padding under the carpet serves as a cushion that helps prevent wear and tear on the fibers of the carpet, but it also acts as a buffer against moisture and heat. If there is too much padding beneath your carpets, it could cause them to buckle or wrinkle due to too much weight being applied from above. On the other hand, if there is not enough padding beneath your carpet, it could lead to buckling due to excessive moisture and heat coming from below.
- Furniture Placement: In addition to incorrect measurements and improper padding, furniture placement can also contribute to wrinkled carpets. Heavy furniture pieces can cause indentations in your carpets over time if left in one spot for an extended period of time. This can cause areas of your carpets that are higher than others which leads to rippling or buckling in those spots, which makes them prone to wrinkling. To help prevent this from happening, make sure you rearrange furniture pieces periodically so that different areas are taking pressure off one another over time.
Your Local Carpet Stretching Professionals
At Magic Touch Carpet Repair and Cleaning, we understand how important it is for your carpets to remain in pristine condition. That’s why we offer professional carpet stretching and repair services that can restore stretched-out carpets at a fraction of the cost of replacement fees. Our experts combine their decades of experience with the latest equipment to provide quality services at an affordable price. Moreover, our friendly customer service sets us apart from other companies in the Gilbert area, making sure that you always receive the highest level of care and satisfaction possible.
Our wide variety of carpet services includes:
- Carpet Cleaning Services
- Carpet Repair Services (Carpet Patching, Carpet Stretching, etc.)
- Carpet Replacement Services
- And More!
Why wait? Schedule an appointment with us today and see the difference professional service can make for your carpets!